Of Yogis, Unicorns and Mermaids

Some people prefer to imagine that they are unicorns and /or mermaids. To be something special, unique, totally out of the ordinary. Sorry, I've got news for you. You are not special. I don't know about you, but Google seems to think that I need to buy that Ariel inspired blanket or buy those unicorn inspired makeup brushes. I see hashtags, clothing, shoes, phone covers, inflatables in shapes of mermaids and unicorns. Oh my god, I don't understand this. Is life so horrible that you want to be someone/something else? And media is totally crushing the self esteem of young adults everywhere that they need to be this sea god/goddess or mythical creature to be special. To be important. There was a young man who said to me, I want to be a unicorn, it allows me to feel my pain of not being able to connect with anyone worthy of me. Perhaps it was his way of feeling special. 

Can you see how much unhappiness there is in being someone/something you are not? IF you like to wallow in pain by masking it with mermaid scales and unicorn inspired lipstick, I guess go ahead then. If you're one of those people who use mythical masks to cover how you truly feel, then I suggest you see a therapist this instant. You could say the latest generation wear their emotions on their sleeves, with tonnes of emojis out there, what's not to feel, right? Wrong. People are losing the ability to connect with each other, let alone to know how one feels or even communicate how you feel to another person. I worry for the future of the people. 

Yoga allows you to get in touch with you you really are. And that is really god damn scary. Maybe that's why I don't have a lot of young people come in to my classes. Maybe they want to be someone completely different from themselves. I fear the future of these youngsters who don't want to know themselves better. Not just their future but the future of our country and such. Excuse me if I start to sound like an old hag, but seriously, can someone please explain to me why it's so appealing to be something other than you are? You could say my teachings and values are old school, but I think these values are evergreen. Only when one starts to know oneself, only can one start to love oneself. Youngsters who only believe they are special by pretending they have mermaid lives, are also severely entitled, no thanks to their parents doing well, having no time to communicate what self love is to their children. There is so much self hate going on these days, and it manifests as a desire to be something/someone completely different from who they really are.

What has happened to the respect of oneself and love for oneself, no matter the circumstances?  I do not disagree that self improvement is great, but changing your true nature and true self is murder. The media is lapping it up, and the young adults love it! Sales skyrocket the moment you mention mermaid or unicorn. But it's murder of thyself. IF you take it too seriously. 

When my students come to class, I allow them to be themselves on the mat, and no one else. Egos are checked at the door. Insecurities come apart as unconditional love and acceptance flows within the practice. There is no need to hide or feel a lack of anything. You are enough. I celebrate when my students are awful, I celebrate when my students are great. There is no such thing as 'you suck at this'. MY message to yogis and further yogis out there is that, come to know yourself, and let the love flow. I know my students on a personal level, and I teach better when I know where they are in their life, and I think it's a dying art of communication. When was the last time you had a real conversation with a friend? When was the last time you were honest with a family member?

So if you're thinking of unmasking yourself, I dare you to come take a class at my studio. OR just be a secretly unhappy mermaid/unicorn. 

To my students, all my love and hold on to that hope of shedding your skins as you continue to practice with me. 

Popular Posts